In 2023, more and more people are trying a new way to enjoy nature called overlanding. It means going on exciting off-road trips where the journey itself is the main fun. This article is like a big guidebook for overlanding. We will discuss why overlanding is getting popular, the gear you need, and cool places to go. Jackery has some awesome solar generators to keep your gadgets charged up during your outdoor adventures. Here is an ultimate guide to overlanding and how you can use Jackery Products in overlanding.
Overlanding is not just a quick trend; it's a way of life that many nature lovers all over the world are falling in love with. The cool thing about overlanding is that it offers endless adventures. Jackery, a brand known for its reliable power stuff, has solar generators like the Solar Generator 1000 Plus, Solar Generator 1000 Pro, and Solar Generator 500.
Rated / Peak Power
What Is Overlanding?
Overlanding is like an exciting outdoor adventure. People who do it travel to far-off places, often using special vehicles that can handle rough roads. But here's the cool part: the trip itself is the main goal. It's not just about reaching a destination; it's about enjoying the journey.
Overlanding started a long time ago, back in the 1900s. In Australia, they made routes for long-distance travel, mainly to move farm animals. People later turned this into a fun outdoor activity inspired by folks like Leonard "Len" Beadell, who explored and mapped out new places.
Overlanding vs. Camping
Camping and overlanding both mean spending time outdoors, but they're not the same. Camping is when you set up a temporary home outside, usually for a short stay, like a weekend. Overlanding, on the other hand, is about long trips to places that aren't visited often. Overlanders carry everything they need for these longer adventures.
Overlanding vs. Off-Roading
Off-roading and overlanding are alike in some ways, but they have differences. Off-roading is mainly about driving on rough, unpaved roads and challenging trails for fun. It's about pushing your vehicle's limits. Overlanding mixes off-road travel with exploring far-off places. Overlanders bring camping gear and aim for longer trips, sometimes lasting days or even weeks.
What Are The Benefits of Overlanding?
Overlanding is awesome for many reasons:
- It is like a big, exciting adventure. You go to places where not many people go, and it's all about exploring and having fun.
- You become good at fixing problems, finding your way around, and surviving in the wild. It makes you feel capable and confident.
- Sometimes, you travel to different countries and meet people from all over the world. It's like a big cultural adventure, and you learn a lot.
- You might have to deal with rough roads or figure out how to set up camp. It keeps your brain and body active.
- Being out in nature and away from busy cities can make you feel less stressed. It's like a break for your mind.
- Overlanders often become big fans of nature and want to take care of it. They help keep the environment clean and safe.
What Are The Challenges of Overlanding?
Overlanding can be super fun, but it's not all smooth sailing. Here are some things that can be a bit tricky:
- Overlanding takes you to remote areas, and that means no fancy hotels or restaurants. You've got to be ready for that.
- Sometimes, you'll drive on bumpy or muddy roads, and the weather can be wild. It's like a driving adventure!
- Your vehicle can get tired too. It might need fixing along the way, so you've got to know your way around car stuff.
- When you're far from cities, getting help can take a long time. So, you've got to stay safe and be ready for emergencies.
- Overlanders love nature, so they have to be super careful not to harm it. It's like being a nature superhero.
- There can be a lot of rules too. Crossing borders can mean lots of paperwork and rules to follow. It can be a bit of a headache.
Overlanding Gear: What to Pack?
Overlanding is all about exploring remote places with your vehicle and being ready for anything. Here's a simple guide to what you should pack for your trip, including the handy Jackery Solar Generators. You will also explore what to pack for your epic overlanding adventure, from the right vehicle to essential gear, including the powerful Jackery Solar Generators.
Choosing the Right Vehicle:
Your vehicle is like your trusty sidekick on this adventure. Here's what to think about when picking the perfect overlanding vehicle:
- Good for Rough Roads:It should handle bumpy and tricky paths.
- 4WD or AWD:These help with traction in tough spots.
- High Off the Ground:You need enough space underneath to get over obstacles.
- Lots of Space: Make sure there's room for all your stuff.
- Not Too Thirsty: Consider how much fuel it uses.
- Reliable:Pick a vehicle known for not breaking down often.
- Easy to Fix: You should be able to repair it without much hassle.
- Customizable: Some vehicles can be changed to suit your needs.
- Just the Right Size:Not too big, not too small.
- Popular Choice: If many people drive it, it's easier to find help.
- Budget-Friendly:Stick to what you can afford.
- New or Used:Decide if you want a brand-new vehicle or a used one.
Now, let's talk about the gear you'll need for your overlanding adventure:
- Tent: Your home away from home.
- Sleeping Bag and Mat: To stay comfy at night.
- Cooking Stuff: A portable stove, pots, and pans.
- Water Filter: Make sure you have clean water.
- Lights: Headlamps or flashlights to see in the dark.
- Navigation Tools: Maps, GPS, and a compass to find your way.
- Basic Tools: Like screwdrivers and pliers.
- Tire Repair Kit: Fix flat tires quickly.
- Duct Tape: It can hold lots of things together.
- Spare Parts: Stuff your vehicle might need.
- Tow Straps: To pull your vehicle out of trouble.
- Shovel: Handy for digging or clearing the way.
- High-Lift Jack: Lifts your vehicle when it's stuck.
- Winch: A powerful tool for getting out of tough spots.
- First-Aid Kit: Helps with injuries in the wild.
- Fire Extinguisher: Safety in case of fires.
- Emergency Communication: A satellite phone or locator beacon.
- Blankets: Stay warm when it's really cold.
Power Gear Needed:
- Solar Panels: Charge your Jackery generator using sunlight.
- Portable Power Bank: Keep your devices charged.
- Jump Starter: Bring a battery booster for your vehicle.
With the right vehicle and all this gear, you're ready for your overlanding adventure. Jackery's Solar Generators, like the Solar Generator 1000 Plus, 1000 Pro, and 500, make sure you have the power you need. So, pack up, hit the road, and enjoy your overlanding journey!
What Are The Types of Overlanding?
Overlanding is all about exploring, but there are different ways to do it. Let's break it down into two main categories: by vehicle and by what you explore.
Vehicle Overlanding features the following:
- Best Vehicles: Big, tough trucks or pickups.
- What You Do: These overlanders like long trips and bring lots of stuff. Trucks can handle tough roads and have space for everything.
- Best Vehicles: Custom-made campervans or RVs.
- What You Do: Campervan lovers want a comfy trip. These vehicles are like tiny houses on wheels with beds, kitchens, and even bathrooms. It's an adventure with comfort.
- Best Vehicles: Sturdy SUVs with 4WD (good for rough roads).
- What You Do: SUV overlanders enjoy exploring off-road areas without big changes to their vehicles. It's flexible for daily driving and adventures.
- Best Vehicles: Adventure motorcycles.
- What You Do: Motorbike overlanders like to travel light and fast. It's about the excitement of the ride and handling tough trails.
The Overlanding by Exploration includes:
- Focus: Tackling tough off-road paths.
- What You Do: Off-roaders want the challenge of driving on rugged terrain, like rocky paths and muddy trails. It tests your driving and your vehicle.
- Focus: Navigating hot, sandy places.
- What You Do: Desert explorers go into big dunes and dry lands. You need survival skills, lots of water, and supplies. Deserts are extreme and unique.
- Focus: Climbing steep mountains.
- What You Do: Mountain travellers aim for high places, facing steep climbs, thin air, and tricky weather. It's about strength and mountain skills.
- Focus: Walking in dense rainforests.
- What You Do: Jungle trekkers dive into wild places with thick plants, humidity, and cool animals. It's a trip into nature's heart.
Every type of overlanding has its style, fitting different tastes and adventure levels. Whether you like comfy campervans or thrilling off-roading, overlanding has something for everyone. So, pick your way and start exploring like never before!
How to Start Your Overlanding?
Starting your overlanding journey is an exciting adventure waiting to happen. Here's how you can begin your overlanding trip with simple steps:
1. Plan and Prepare:
- Choose Your Destination: Decide where you want to go. Research the area, its climate, and any permits you might need.
- Select Your Vehicle: Pick a vehicle suitable for your trip, whether it's a sturdy truck, a comfy campervan, a versatile SUV, or an adventurous motorbike.
- Pack Smart: Gather your camping gear, repair tools, recovery equipment, emergency supplies, and power solutions like the Jackery Solar Generator 1000 Plus, 1000 Pro, or 500.
- Plan Your Route: Plan your route carefully, considering the terrain and the places you want to visit along the way. Make a map or use GPS navigation.
- Check Vehicle Maintenance: Ensure your vehicle is in good condition. Get it checked by a mechanic to prevent breakdowns on the road.
- Food and Water: Stock up on non-perishable food and plenty of water. You might not find stores in remote areas.
2. On the Road:
- Drive Safely: Follow road rules and drive safely, especially on challenging off-road trails.
- Camping Spots: Find suitable camping spots. Follow Leave No Trace principles by leaving nature as you found it.
- Stay Informed: Keep an eye on weather forecasts and any updates about the area you're in.
- Enjoy the Journey: Overlanding is about the journey itself, so take your time and enjoy the sights, sounds, and experiences along the way.
- Safety First: In remote areas, let someone know your plans and expected return date. Carry communication tools like a satellite phone or a personal locator beacon.
3. Be Self-Reliant:
- Problem-Solve: Overlanding often comes with challenges. Be ready to solve problems, from vehicle issues to navigation challenges.
- Leave No Trace: Respect the environment by disposing of waste properly and avoiding damage to nature.
- Learn and Adapt: Overlanding is a learning experience. Adapt to unexpected situations and learn from them.
- Connect with Others: Meet fellow Overlanders and exchange tips and stories. They can be a valuable source of information and support.
Starting your overlanding adventure is a journey of self-reliance, exploration, and discovery. With careful planning and the right gear, you can embark on an unforgettable adventure into the great outdoors. So, pack your bags, fuel up your vehicle, and hit the road—it's time to start your overlanding adventure!
Jackery Solar Generators for Overlanding
Jackery is a leading brand in portable power solutions, known for its innovative solar generators that provide clean and reliable energy on the go. Jackery's commitment to sustainability and outdoor exploration makes it the perfect companion for your overlanding adventures.
Jackery Solar Generators: How They Work?
Jackery Solar Generators harness the power of the sun to generate electricity. They consist of a high-capacity lithium battery, a built-in inverter, and a solar panel input. Here's how it works:
- Solar Panels:The solar panels capture sunlight and convert it into electrical energy.
- Battery Storage: The generated energy is stored in the internal lithium battery for later use.
- Inverter:The inverter converts the stored energy into usable AC power, compatible with a wide range of devices and appliances.
Choosing the Right Size for Overlanding
The size of the solar generator you need for overlanding depends on your power requirements. To calculate the size:
- List the devices and appliances you plan to power.
- Note their wattage (usually found on a label or in the user manual).
- Estimate the daily usage hours for each device.
- Multiply the wattage by the usage hours to calculate daily watt-hours.
- Sum up the daily watt-hours for all devices to determine your daily power needs.
Introducing Jackery Solar Generators
Jackery offers a range of powerful and reliable solar generators designed to enhance your overlanding experience.
The Jackery Solar Generator 1000 Plus has a capacity of 1.25-5 kWh, providing ample energy for your adventures. It can last up to 10 years, and you can charge it using solar panels, an AC outlet, or a car adapter, offering flexibility on the road. Its standout features include expandable capacity, mobile app control for convenient monitoring, and an eco-friendly design.
Review: Mark I: “cannot rely on any other solar generator, perfect products and best recharging time”
The Jackery Solar Generator 1000 Pro comes with variable capacity options to meet your specific requirements. It also has a lifespan of up to 10 years and supports various charging methods, including solar panels, an AC outlet, or a car adapter. This generator features mobile app control for seamless management, a durable design for outdoor use, and efficient charging capabilities.
Review: Ashley John “Me and my partner often go for Overlanding trips, it was unsafe for us as our devices got out of power and we had no backup sources, these generators are portable and we now go for long trips without worrying”
If you prefer a more compact and lightweight solution, the Jackery Solar Generator 500 is an excellent choice. It comes in different capacity options, and it can also last up to 10 years. Like the others, you can charge it using solar panels, an AC outlet, or a car adapter. It also boasts waterproof panels, making it suitable for outdoor use in various weather conditions. Additionally, it operates quietly, ensuring a peaceful camping experience.
Review: Ben Xavier “For me, these portable generator options are best as I go for solo hikes, kayaking and Overlanding, amazing”
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)
Up to 10 years
Flashlight (25W) =1 H
Coffee Maker (1300W)=1.3H
Car Fridge (60W)=45H
Projector (100W)=9 H
Electric Cooker (900W)=1 H
Portable Air Conditioner (1150W)=1 H
Microwave Oven (1160W)=1 H
Drone (90W)=29 Times
Ternary lithium battery with 10 years lifespan
2x USB-C Output PD 100W MAX
3 x AC Output (1000W, 2000W Surge Peak)
Space Heater(350W)=2.5 H
Electric wheelchair(380W)=2.5 H
Ice Shaver(700W)=1.2 H
Coffee Maker(550W)=1.5 H
Electric rice cooker(820W)=1 H
LI-ION NMC battery with 10-year lifespan
Car Port Output
Space Heater(300W)=1.5 H
Coffee Maker(550W)=0.8 H
Where to Go Overlanding?
Here are five great places for Overlanding adventures around the world:
- Pan-American Highway: This road goes from Alaska in North America to Argentina in South America. It's a long journey with lots of different landscapes.
- Silk Road: This is an ancient road that goes from China to Turkey. It's over 4,000 miles long and takes you through many different cultures and historic places.
- Trans-Africa Highway:If you want to explore Africa, this road goes from Egypt to South Africa. You'll see deserts, grasslands, and lots of wildlife.
- Australian Outback:Australia's Outback is vast and remote. There are challenging routes like the Canning Stock Route and Gibb River Road that let you experience its rugged beauty.
- Mongolia's Gobi Desert: This is a desert adventure in Mongolia. It's a remote and dry place with stunning desert views.
These places offer diverse experiences, from learning about different cultures to taking on tough off-road challenges. Each one is a unique adventure that lets you enjoy nature and explore amazing parts of the world.
So, if you're all set for your overlanding adventure, remember that it's not just a trend. It's a way of life that offers endless excitement and unforgettable experiences. With the right gear, like Jackery's Solar Generators, and a spirit of adventure, you can enjoy the thrill of exploring new places while connecting with nature and making lasting memories. Whether you choose the rough roads of the Pan-American Highway or the rich cultures of the Silk Road, Overlanding invites you to discover the world in a whole new way. So, pack your things, after going through this ultimate guide to overlanding. Then get your vehicle ready, and start your amazing overlanding journey!